Sunday, October 23, 2016

A Magnificent Skull Arrangement - Totally Up for the Challenge

Look at this centerpiece!  I have to admit when I first was asked to create this piece for Halloween, I was a little nervous but excited at the same time.  I am up for any challenge!  At the same time, I want to make sure I give my clients exactly what they are looking for.  They just renovated their office and made it more modern.  Traditional is not their style and that was made very clear.  After showing me their logo color, you saw that purple was the main color but gradually transitioned to a pinky plum color.   They wanted two of these arrangements to be placed one on each side of the lobby desk.  Shopping for this was so much fun.  It's made in all dried flowers as well as some silk flowers.  The succulents bring in the deep purple, shades of green and burgundy.  I also used dried Wild Oats in brown and sage, Star Flower, hot pink and chocolate brown Lagurus, dried Baby's Breath, Eucalyptus, purple Ranunculus, Cedar and Reindeer Moss.  The base of this piece is a candle stick holder in black and a charger that I sprayed painted black.  The star of the show was this purple skeleton head.  I think creating him was the most rewarding.  I found them in styrofoam and painted them first in a plum color.  Glittering them in purple was very time consuming.  I first thought I could sprinkle the glitter after I painted him while the paint was wet thinking I would save a step and once it dried it would be perfect.  This was not the case.  Because there is not one flat service on this skeleton face, very little stuck to the skull.  It was extremely patchy and not at all what  it should look like.  Instead of panicking, I waited for them to dry and then I coated the entire skull in mod podge glue and then brought the skull to a bucket of purple glitter and poured it all over it and let it dry over night.  Even thought I had to touch up some areas, the next day, they were PERFECT!!  Once I sat this guy on the foam, I think I shed a tear.  They were magnificent and the most important thing is that client LOVED them too!!!

PS  The one thing and the only thing I would have done differently is that  I would have painted the skull the color of the glitter which was a true purple, not the plum color I choses.  Why?  When the glitter did not stick the plum color came through which became very time consuming trying to add more glitter to cover it up.  You live and learn :)

 photo signature_zpshoufcjst.png

No comments:

Post a Comment